Monday, October 20, 2008

It finally happened.....*

.....we lost Ellie. You know, that ratty gray elephant that Caroline's holding in every single picture on this blog? The one she sleeps with and takes absolutely EVERYWHERE???? The one that must be washed AT LEAST once a week (usually more) because I don't want to know where she's been? The one I've already had to sew the tail and an ear back on? That's the one. No where to be found!

We went on a walk today, and halfway through the walk she asks, "Where's Ellie?" and starts looking around the stroller. I figured we just left her at home since she was so excited to be going on a walk. When we got home, I thought maybe she'd be in the garage on the ground because she crawled into the stroller by herself. Nope. I looked inside where I saw her last - not there either. After playing outside for a bit, we went inside to continue the search. Nada. So I became one of those moms today. (gasp) You know, the ones who load up the gang and drive 15 mph along the route we walked looking on the side of the road before it got dark to see if maybe we dropped her along the way. Nothing.

We came home, ate dinner, and continued the search. Still no Ellie. I have no idea where she is, but Caroline is in bed, and didn't really seem to be all that upset that she didn't have her beloved Ellie with her. We'll see how tomorrow goes when she has to go to school alone - yikes!

Stay tuned..... I'm hoping maybe she'll turn up somewhere. Not because I want Caroline to be dependent on having her when she goes to college (please no), but because I was kind of looking forward to packing her away to show her one day when she has babies. Ugh. I guess this is one way to break the Ellie habit. Now if I can only figure out how we're going to take the pacifier away from Eric....

* Update: Still no sign of Ellie. That makes me think that she was probably dropped in the street on our walk. And the next day was trash day. I still haven't given up hope she's hiding in some random place - maybe the garage where we load up in the stroller for those walks. I have already decided that if I do find her (and I'm alone) I'm not going to give her back, just put her away with the other baby memorabilia (after washing her, of course).

Caroline has just been doing great with the "loss." (Sounds like someone died, doesn't it?) She still occasionally asks "Where's Ellie," but I just remind her that we lost her. She seems content with that answer. I'm surprised that she hasn't formed some sort of attachment to one of her other stuffed animals yet, either. For those of you who aren't around us all that much, we didn't do anything without Ellie, so this has been WAY easier than I thought it would be!!

4 comments:

Jason and Kyla said...

I actually gasped out loud when I read that first sentence. Of course we know all too well about those kinds of attachments. Here's hoping you'll find Ellie hiding in the most unlikely place.

Chera said...

Oh no! I understand what you mean about wanting to keep Ellie for Caroline as she gets older. I hope you find her soon! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe it. . . But what an easy way to break the habit. Keep me posted.

Beth said...

I can't wait to hear if there is any more news regarding Ellie. Megan lost her "favorite night night" tonight and it has been quite traumatic. I am just hoping it will turn up or tomorrow; otherwise, we all might need therapy!